Bienvenido! Entrar Crear un nuevo perfil

Avanzado

Islanders beating Capitals in OT

Enviado por fary11 
Islanders beating Capitals in OT
06-April-2016 09:48
All eyes were on Braden Holtby in his first chance to tie Martin Brodeur's Da'Norris Searcy Jerseysingle-season wins record. Then, New York Islanders rookie Christopher Gibson stole the show at the other end.

Gibson made 29 saves in his first career NHL start as the Islanders rallied from two goals down in the third period and beat the Washington Capitals 4-3 in overtime Tuesday night to clinch a playoff berth amid a seemingly never-ending torrent of injuries.

Gibson, the Islanders' fourth-string http://www.titansnflofficialproshop.com/Authentic-Daquan-Jones-Jerseygoaltender pressed into duty in the second half of back-to-back games, bounced back from allowing a goal on the second shot he faced and stopped Evgeny Kuznetsov on a breakaway in overtime to pave the way for the victory.

''In my mind I was like, 'I have to stop this to keep this going,''' Gibson said. ''Lucky enough I made the save there, and we won the game.''

Coach Jack Capuano called Gibson the Islanders' best player on the ice, and he had to be against the league-leading http://www.titansnflofficialproshop.com/Authentic-Delanie-Walker-JerseyCapitals. Alex Ovechkin scored his 46th and 47th goals of the season and T.J. Oshie added his 22nd, but Gibson was solid and didn't crack under pressure.

Neither did his teammates, who stared down a 3-1 deficit in the third. Kyle Okposo and Anders Lee scored 1:45 apart to tie it, and defenseman Thomas Hickey returned from a skate-cut scare to score the game-winner 2:13 into overtime.

The Islanders would have clinched a Doug Martin Jerseyplayoff spot minutes later when the Carolina Hurricanes defeated the Boston Bruins in a shootout, but Okposo said players wanted to do it on their terms. It took a furious comeback, and now New York is back in the playoffs for the third time in four years.

''We didn't wait for someone else to do it for us,'' said Hickey, who called the skate cut minor. ''To come in here in the back end of a back-to-back and have some guys step up like Gibby and play through a little adversity there, that's the right way to do it. You'd rather do it the hard way than the easy way.''

Injuries have made things difficult for the Islanders for several weeks now.http://www.buccaneersofficialauthentic.com/Authentic-Evan-Dietrichsmith-Jersey They lost starting goalie Jaroslav Halak last month, and played their third game without top defenseman Travis Hamonic, and on Monday night defenseman Calvin de Haan and forward Cal Clutterbuck got hurt and weren't able to play against Washington.

Gibson, defensive call-up Scott Mayfield and journeyman forward Eric Boulton stepped up as New York lost defenseman Brian Strait to an upper-body injury but still managed to stay competitive.

''Our guys just battled, and I think that the guys that were in there tonight were resilient,'' Capuano said. ''Even when we were down 3-1, we just had the confidence and we felt it coming.''
Lo siento, sólo pueden enviar mensajes si está registrado.

Picar aquí para entrar