Bienvenido! Entrar Crear un nuevo perfil

Avanzado

Joe Starkey: Steelers sitting pretty at halfway point, but are questions on pass defense answered?

Enviado por Bellaaaa 
Before we get to the obligatory nitpicking over a Steelers victory — and I think some nitpicking is justified — behold cornerback Joe Haden, happily sitting at 6-2 halfway through a season.

you know,His old team,Authentic Chris Harris Jr Jersey, has lost 33 of its past 35 games.

Or is it 35 of 37?,Authentic Menelik Watson Jersey,

Both?Authentic Matt Paradis Jersey

I wondered after the Steelers’ 20-15 win at Ford Field if Haden had ever been on a 6-2 team,Anyway,Authentic C.J. Anderson Jersey, feeling quite certain he hadn’t.

I was 7-4 with the Browns,> he said,“Best I ever was,Authentic Shelby Harris Jersey,before pausing for the punch line: “And then we lost the rest of the games.”

now to the nitpicking. The Steelers finally faced a quarterback with some pedigree attacking downfield (yes, Alex Smith is doing some of thatOK, but Matthew Stafford strikes me as the more dangerous player),>Authentic Ronald Leary Jersey, and they gave up 423 yards through the air.

They also failed to generate a consistent pass run on Stafford’s 45 attempts — why in the world didn’t James Harrison get a series or two? — despite the fact that Detroit has been losing tackles faster than the Cleveland Browns lose football games.

43 and 34 yards (twice), blew a coverage or two and horrifyingly allowed the Human Drop Machine,The Steelers surrendered pass plays of 44, Eric Ebron, to get loose late in the game for an uncovered 44-yard gain.

a few of Stafford’s teammates were talking to him about all the big plays available to them. He was great between the 20s,In an elevator after the game, less so in the red zone.

“He’s the highest-paid quarterback in the league for a reason,” said linebacker Ryan Shazier. “He can get the ball wherever he wants. He’s got a great arm.”

every single time, keeping the Lions without a touchdown.,womens C.J. Anderson Jersey, And for that they deserve immense credit. Detroit came into the game as the sixth-best red-zone team in the NFL,The Steelers held deep in their end, scoring touchdowns 60 percent of the time. They’re outstanding coming back late in games, too.

But looking at the game as a whole, ,Authentic Shaquil Barrett Jersey,I couldn’t help but think of a certain quarterback north of here and wonder whether this pass defense has really improved to the point where it could contain Tom Brady or another elite thrower in a big game.

this is true, but the New England Patriots have participated in six consecutive AFC championships,Maybe it won’t have to,womens Chris Harris Jr Jersey>, so I’m guessing they’re going to be present and accounted for in late January.

the Steelers’ pass defense has improved since last yearfrom rush to coverage. Haden’s presence is significant. T.J. Watt's and Mike Hilton’swomens Matt Paradis Jersey,,Certainly, too — although it’s not easy to put an accurate gauge on pass defense when you look at the kinds of quarterbacks the Steelers have faced.

Case Keenum,Mike Glennon,It’s hard to get a read when you’re going against DeShone Kizer,>Authentic Domata Peko Jersey>, Bad Joe Flacco, Blake Bortles and Andy Dalton.

this team allowed one passing touchdown,womens Ronald Leary Jerseycombined,On the other hand, to Smith and Stafford.

I asked Shazier if he feels the pass defense is better.womens Shaquil Barrett Jersey,>

“I definitely feel like it got a lot better,”womens Shelby Harris Jersey he said. “I definitely feel like the acquisitions we got are helping us a lot.”

Does he worry about those 423 passing yards or does he focus more on the red-zone stops?,womens Domata Peko Jersey

“We have to focus on both, when they don’t score touchdowns, you don’t want anybody throwing for that many yards,” Shazier said. “So we’re going to go back and look at what we did, because at the end of the day, see what made us play the way we did and make sure we fix it. But at the end of the day,womens Menelik Watson Jersey,' it gives you the opportunity to win games.”
Lo siento, sólo pueden enviar mensajes si está registrado.

Picar aquí para entrar